One of the best ways to support your gut health journey is by eating foods that are natural prebiotic and probiotics in order to maintain the correct balance between good and bad bacteria in the gut.
As Kale Brock showed us in episode 4 of the Healthy Gut, Healthy Life video series, this can be simple – and delicious!
One of his favourite gut health recipes is his Gut-Nourishing Pizza – with a base that’s made from ground nuts and seeds (almond meal and LSA) – a ‘must-add’ to your favourite healthy lunch and dinner recipes!
Serves: 2 – 4 servings
Cooking time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
- Almonds or almond meal – 1 cup
- LSA (Linseed, Sunflower seed, Almond) meal – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Gluten free baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Eggs – 2 large or 3 small, beaten
- Italian herbs (optional)
- Olive oil – 1 teaspoon
- Spring onions – 3 onions
- Garlic Cloves – 2 cloves
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 400g fresh chopped tomatoes
- Handful thyme
- Handful chives
- Himalayan salt – ½ to 1 teaspoon
- Pepper to taste
Let’s start with the crust
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (355 Fahrenheit).
2. In a food processor, blend almonds until a fine meal is formed. Add in LSA, salt and baking soda until combined well. If using almond meal, simply combine ingredients in a bowl. If using herbs, add them in now.
3. Add eggs and blend until a ball begins to form. This can be done in either a food processor or by hand.
4. Roll and press onto a lined baking tray so the dough is 5mm thick.
5. Cook in oven for 10 minutes or it begins to turn golden brown.
Followed by the sauce
- Prepare a frying pan on medium heat.
2. Spread oil over pan and cook onion and garlic for 1-2 mins.
3. Add in tomatoes, thyme and chives and simmer until it begins to reduce.
4. The sauce will thicken as the moisture cooks off.
5. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon tomato sauce and top with your favourite pizza toppings.
Return to cook for a further 10-15 minutes, then add avocado, rocket or any other special treats you like.
Now’s your time to try it at home, don’t forget to tag us on your pictures and hashtag #nutralifeguthealth